Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happenings:

What a great holiday we had... Yesterday our school celebrated International Day. Going into the night I had no idea what to expect. We had no school on Friday as we spent the whole day decorating. One really cool thing about preparing for an evening like that is that here people are so laid back they don't get stressed out over stuff. It was a very relaxing atmosphere to prepare it.
For the evening each class represented a different country. They prepared a display table and many of the classes prepared a special thing to do to show off their country. The 1st graders represented America. They all said in English different facts; it was very cute.
I was able to meet many of the children's parents. I enjoyed this a lot. I was able to communicate with them as well. Although by the end of the night I was so tired I had no idea what I was saying any more. A couple of the parents didn't come. This made me sad. Because these are kids that it seems that their parents don't care a lot for them. One boy told me that he lived by himself. I couldn't believe this. I think what he meant is that he lives with his mom, but she has to work all the time so he can go to this private school. So he is literally by himself all day and almost all night long. Here people work 7 days a week.
I was able to talk with one parent who is a believer. It was encouraging to fellowship a little with here. She bought my dinner which was really nice too :).
Something that we have noticed about the culture here. Is that women are taken care of in the sense that men do the hard laborous jobs and provide for the women. But emotional women are tore down so low that they are made to believe they are not worth much. So the women look down on those that are lower than them so that they feel better about themselves. For example, after the evening we began to clean up. There was trash everywhere so I got a broom and Laura and I started sweeping. We were told not to do this because it was the maid's job. There was so much garbage that it would take her forever to clean it up. But we noticed that really none of the other teachers talk with the maids. How sad. God loves us all so much that He made us special to Him. He loves all people.
My prayer is that I will be able to allow these people to see God's love through me. Especially these ones that have nothing.

1 comment:

  1. B! you keep being a light to that school!!! way to pick up the trash !!! many hands make light work :) love you sister!

    ReplyDelete