Saturday, October 10, 2009

Gringos vs. Carachos What a Crazy Night!!!

Yesterday was a day to remember!!! We went to a US national game!!! I never thought that I would do that! They were playing Honduras, and it was very VERY interesting... I am so glad that I had the opportunity. Right when we got out of the van to walk to the stadium... It decided to down pour... so there we were running through the rain the "Gringos" :). The rain kept dripping in my eyes so that I could not see. I grabbed on to Laura and closed my eyes and ran. It was pretty scary running blindly in the rain. We got into the entrance and there were lines everywhere to get into the stadium. One line saw us with our Honduras' jerseys on and start cheering for us, "Gringos, Gringos" and blowing their horns and yelling really loud. It made me laugh. We had left the house at 1 pm or so and got there at 2. The game didn't start until 8pm!! As soon as we got in line under a building it stopped raining...We were drenched!
So there we were waiting in line for next hour and a half to get into the stadium. So much excitement was in the air. The whole country was into the game for seriousness. Massive crowds of people were everywhere. To get into the stadium you had to push into this narrow area. Seriously you had to push to fit. Finally we all got into the Stadium. I had to go to the bathroom really really bad.. I decided I will always be thankful for US bathrooms no matter how bad they are... these were...well way worse would be an understatement.
We got into arena. The seats were only cement steps that you sat where you could. It was so loud because of the excitement. Everyone was cheering as loud as they could, and the game was not to start for 4 more hours!!!! When everyone would jump up and down the cement would shake. It was pretty crazy! So for 4 hours we cheer and cheered and cheered some more. Probably my favorite thing of the whole night was watching the excitement of the Hondurans. It actually made me think of Heaven. I wonder what the excitement level will be there when we see God if these Hondurans get this excited over a soccer game!
Well we got water, and who knows what else dumped all over us! I was watching the game with a person less than 2 inches in front of me!! It was crazy! When Honduras made their first goal everyone went crazy I got pushed and almost fell down the step! It was so fun to watch.
I had been planning on cheering for Honduras because if they won they were going to be able to go to the World Cup, this would have been the first time since 1982 that they have been in it. But when the US team arrived, my mind changed. There is a loyalty to my country that I really didn't know existed in my heart. So sometimes outwardly I would cheer for Honduras. But in my heart i would be cheering for the US!
Anyway I could go on and on about the different things that happened, but I don't think that my words are able to describe the experience. The US did end up winning 3-2...now how many of you that are reading this knew that...That was the saddest part for me. I was glad that the US won. But every Honduran was heartbroken sad. Laura said to me, "In the United States most people don't even care about this, but here these people it was there life!" She was so right. I felt really bad.
Anyway, I tried to describe some of the excitement, but I really don't think that words can describe what took place. I am so glad that I was able to go! But it sure was quite an experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment