Sunday, November 29, 2009

3500 meters

If God's Power is made perfect in my weakness..then I will boast in my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
A couple months ago I took a trip with my church to the wilderness of Algonquin. Such a beautiful place to take a trip for a week. I enjoy going here tons! Normally all we have is our packs and canoes and we travel about a 100 miles or so. We paddle for large amounts of time and then take a break from that by portaging with our packs and canoes through the woods. Usually I will carry a canoe with another person as to distribute the weight. This time however I decided to set a new goal. I have carried the canoe a little by myself before but only for 500 meter or so. This trip I decided to try just a bit farther. I took it 1,000 meters. After I finished this, I realized that to carry a canoe requires mental strength. If I can make my mind carry it, than I can do it with God's help! I decided that I was going to carry the canoe the longest distance that we were going by myself. This distance was 3500 meters, 2 1/2 miles. As I carried it, there were people around me that talked with me the whole way. We sang songs together and enjoyed the walk. This is not to say that it was easy...in fact there were times when I wanted to quite. I want to put the canoe down and be done. I asked God for strength to continue and He continued to help me persevere. I was able to finish it! As I reflected on the trip and what God was doing in my heart one of the lessons that I was grasping, was with God I can do anything that He enables me to do.
One night I shared around the campfire my uncertainty about the next year. I knew that I would be going to Honduras for the year. But as to what I would find and how much I would miss my family I did not know. That 3500 marker in my life meant a lot more that just finishing a portage with a canoe on my head. It meant that God could help me through anything.
Now here I am, sitting, missing my family, fellowshipping with people, the Word being preached, communication, using the gifts God has given me, special occasions, worshiping with believers, and understanding people. I getting close to the middle of the portage. But I need the strength of God to continue. He is the only one that will help me finish! He has sent me here, He will enable me to finish because there is no way I can do it on my own!!!!
As I reflect back on the lesson that God taught me this summer through going 3500 meters, I know that I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Right now I have a lot of weaknesses, as I am not in tune to this culture. But through this God's power is shown.
This is what life is about right? Bringing glory to God. If this is how I can bring Him glory...than bring it on :). I want the power of Christ to rest upon me so I will boast in my weaknesses!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! bless your heart! Bethany you keep it up:) only acouple more weeks and we are going to have a grand ole time together!!! miss you lots! don't give into those sad thoughts...you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete